The purpose of this particular section is to provide you with information about the range of cruising options possible using Canaltime at Alvechurch as your base.
7 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 7.5 Hrs • Locks: 116
• A route of contrasts takes in 21st century Birmingham city centre and 19th century heritage.
• Alongside the canal network in Birmingham city centre you will find The Symphony Hall, National Indoor Arena, the Sea Life Centre, International Convention Centre and Brindley Place.
• Birmingham city centre is within easy walking distance of the canal with its restaurants, shops, theatres, art galleries and museums (www.visitbirminqham.com).
• The Birmingham Canal Navigations (BCN) link the old and new main lines and take you past places such as Smethwick, West Bromwich, Tipton and Wolverhampton.
• Travel on the rural River Severn, the longest river in the UK and second longest in the British Isles.
• This route can also be travelled from our Worcester Marina.
STRATFORD-UPON-AVON & RETURN
7 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 7 Hrs • Locks: 110
• From Alvechurch you will travel up to Kings Norton Junction and then down the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal.
• For more details on Stratford go to www.stratford-upon-avon.co.uk
THE BLACK COUNTRY RING
7 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 8 Hrs • Locks: 80
•This route has lots of family activities and a rich mixture of canal scenery.
10-14 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 6 Hrs • Locks: 139
(Additional licence required for River Avon)
• This route will take you on both the River Severn and Avon, and to fully enjoy it you will need at least 10 or 14 nights.
• You will need a licence for the River Avon (go to www.avonnaviqationtrust.org for more details).
• This is an energetic route that takes in Worcester, Tewkesbury, Evesham and Stratford-upon-Avon and is a great route to explore the history of the Heart of England.
• If you travel for 2 weeks, you can also detour down to Gloucester with its docks, warehouses and museums (www.thecityofgloucester.co.uk).
7-14 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 6 Hrs • Locks: 128
• This route can be completed from Alvechurch Marina in 10 nights by more experienced boaters but to fully enjoy this trip at a more relaxed pace take 14 nights to complete it.
• The route can also be completed from Gayton Marina.
7 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 5 Hrs • Locks: 76-92
• This canal can be cruised as part of the Stourport Ring or as a leisurely return route.
WEEKENDS: Friday-Monday (3 nights) I MIDWEEK: Monday-Friday (4 nights)
LAPWORTH & RETURN
3-4 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 4.5 Hrs • Locks: 0-36
• Head north towards Birmingham, then turn onto the Stratford Canal towards the Lapworth Flight of locks.
• Stop at the top of Lapworth Fliqht for a relaxing route with no locks – a good first-time route or for those that want to just enjoy the canal and countryside without the locks.
• Take a 4-night break and travel down the locks to Kingswood Junction or travel a few more hours to take in Knowle, Hatton Flight or Wootton Wawen.
BIRMINGHAM & RETURN
3 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 5 Hrs • Locks: 0
• A relaxing route that will take you through countryside and then into the hustle and bustle of Birmingham city centre (www.visitbirmingham.com).