The purpose of this particular section is to provide you with information about the range of cruising options possible using Canaltime at Worcester as your base.
7 Nights • Cruising time per day: 7.5hrs • Locks: 116
• It is recommended to travel this ring clockwise from Worcester Marina heading out onto the River Severn on the first days cruising.
• Why not see if you can plan time to experience the steam trains on Severn Valley Railway (www.svr.co.uk).
• The Stourport Ring visits three contrasting cities (Worcester, Wolverhampton and Birmingham) taking in urban views and countryside scenes.
• From the River Severn you will reach Stourport Basin with The Treasure Island Amusement Park and award winning fish and chip shops, which gives it a seaside holiday feel.
STRATFORD UPON AVON & RETURN
7 Nights • Cruising time per day: 6hrs • Locks: 44
Cruise through idyllic stretches of countryside to this historic town.
• Offers a superb mixture of culture, history and shopping.
• Moor in the beautifully maintained canal basin at Stratford.
• Visit the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. (01789 403444 / www.rsc.org.uk)
• All of Stratford’s attractions are easy to reach from the basin.
You will need to obtain a licence for the River Avon from Tewkesbury* and having a second route option is advisable as you will be travelling on the river.
*Please go to www.avonnavigationtrust.org for more information. The licence can be obtained on route in Stratford or Tewkesbury.
THE AVON RING
10-14 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 6hrs • Locks: 139
• This route will take you on both the River Severn and Avon, and to fully enjoy it you will need at least 10 or 11 nights.
• You will need a licence for the River Avon (go to www.avonnavigationtrust.org for more details).
• This is an energetic route that takes in Worcester, Tewkesbury, Evesham and Stratford-upon-Avon, and is a great route to explore the history of the Heart of England.
• If you travel for 2 weeks you can also detour down to Gloucester with its docks, warehouses and museums (www.thecityofgloucester.co.uk).
BIRMINGHAM & RETURN
7 Nights • Cruising time per day: 6hrs • Locks: 108
• This route will take you up the Worcester and Birmingham Canal, past the Droitwich Canal, through Hanbury Wharf, past Stoke Prior and onto the Tardebigge Flight of locks.
• The Tardebigge Locks is the longest flight in the UK comprising of 30 locks between Stoke Prior and Tardebigge Tunnel (length 580 yards).