The purpose of this particular section is to provide you with information about the range of cruising options possible using Canaltime at Worcester as your base.
7 Nights • Cruising time per day: 7.5hrs • Locks: 116
• It is recommended to travel this ring clockwise from Worcester Marina heading out onto the River Severn on the first days cruising.
• Why not see if you can plan time to experience the steam trains on Severn Valley Railway (www.svr.co.uk).
• The Stourport Ring visits three contrasting cities (Worcester, Wolverhampton and Birmingham) taking in urban views and countryside scenes.
• From the River Severn you will reach Stourport Basin with The Treasure Island Amusement Park and award winning fish and chip shops, which gives it a seaside holiday feel.
STRATFORD UPON AVON & RETURN
7 Nights • Cruising time per day: 6hrs • Locks: 44
Cruise through idyllic stretches of countryside to this historic town.
• Offers a superb mixture of culture, history and shopping.
• Moor in the beautifully maintained canal basin at Stratford.
• Visit the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. (01789 403444 / www.rsc.org.uk)
• All of Stratford’s attractions are easy to reach from the basin.
You will need to obtain a licence for the River Avon from Tewkesbury* and having a second route option is advisable as you will be travelling on the river.
*Please go to www.avonnavigationtrust.org for more information. The licence can be obtained on route in Stratford or Tewkesbury.
THE AVON RING
10-14 Nights • Cruising Time Per day: 6hrs • Locks: 139
• This route will take you on both the River Severn and Avon, and to fully enjoy it you will need at least 10 or 11 nights.
• You will need a licence for the River Avon (go to www.avonnavigationtrust.org for more details).
• This is an energetic route that takes in Worcester, Tewkesbury, Evesham and Stratford-upon-Avon, and is a great route to explore the history of the Heart of England.
• If you travel for 2 weeks you can also detour down to Gloucester with its docks, warehouses and museums (www.thecityofgloucester.co.uk).
BIRMINGHAM & RETURN
7 Nights • Cruising time per day: 6hrs • Locks: 108
• This route will take you up the Worcester and Birmingham Canal, past the Droitwich Canal, through Hanbury Wharf, past Stoke Prior and onto the Tardebigge Flight of locks.
• The Tardebigge Locks is the longest flight in the UK comprising of 30 locks between Stoke Prior and Tardebigge Tunnel (length 580 yards).
STOKE PRIOR & RETURN
3 Nights • Cruising time per day: 5hrs • Locks: 38
Cruise up the Worcester and Birmingham Canal. This trip takes you north into rural Worcestershire where you pass through the very heart of ‘Archers’ country to the village of Stoke Prior.
STOURTON JUNCTION & RETURN
4 Nights • Cruising time per day: 6hrs • Locks: 41
Cruise up the River Severn to the inland port of Stourport, where you join the idyllic Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. Before returning to Worcester, you’ll be able to enjoy seeing North Worcestershire at its best from this gently meandering canal.
THE DROITWICH RING
3-4 Nights • Cruising time per day: 5hrs • Locks: 33
The Droitwich Canal links the Worcester and Birmingham with the River Severn at Hawford creating a new mini-ring from Worcester. Cruising the ring will take approximately 16 hours so a short break is possible, but will require long days cruising on weekend breaks.